the written singings
Thursday, July 1, 2010
keep the outings going!
By the way, it was a pleasant surprise to read so many revival entries. Out of boredom, or out of curiosity, deep down inside us, we still bothered to click on HYTS blog, despite knowing that it will be more or less dead. Well, here’s my turn.
We came together because at different ages, at that same phase of time, we made a decision to quit secretly like singing but pursue it wildly. The common passion together with our homogeneous frequency sparked off this unique chemistry of HYTS. I was 21 back then.
This blog was created because something so unique is worth keeping, or recording. True, indeed. Your classmates are just a random bunch of people who come together involuntarily to study. You became good friends with them because of circumstance. Your CCA mates come together because of common activities, and depending on whether you enjoy these activities, it can go either way. But we come together because we voluntarily joined the class simply due to the fact we like singing.
And that was how the original HYTS was unique to me.
And I appreciate every supper we had on Fridays. Trust me, I’ve never eaten so much suppers in my life! Sometimes, it wasn’t the food (though it was still awesome), it’s the company.
When I was in US, I did have a lot of fun, I had a new passion other than singing – photography. I learnt, I enjoyed, I explored. Each time I feel excited about a new place I’m going to shoot (with my camera), I remembered the same excitement before supper, (just to prove i'm not a glutton), before exams, before guan mo hui, before our outings.
I missed singing in the States, I’m sure Tiffany does too. I missed it so much I joined the choir, only to realize it’s too hard cause everyone reads notes faster than my eyes blink. Constrained in an English environment, I’m really deprived of releasing Chinese music from my mouth. (not the nicest way to describe, but still the best way)
I’m really glad the previous outing happened. A pity Tiffany the Singing Queen and Shyrlyn the Laughing Queen and Alicia the Beauty Queen weren’t there. But still, familiar voices, familiar topics, familiar laughters of the same OLD topics, they never get boring. =)
As time passes, other bigger agendas in lives dominated how we need to spend our time. If we have 100 hours a day, or the distance between Canada/USA/London and Singapore are about 20km, I’m sure none of us would hesitate to maintain this friendship on a more frequent basis.
Many of us are not as fortunate as HJ Laoshi to be able to make music the centre of our lives. But in the midst of studies/work/beauty pageant/being overseas/relationship/new hobbies/new friends, I hope everyone can occasionally take a break and withdraw from all the hectic work, and re-embrace something which we once felt so strongly for.

